History of New Bloomfield R-III
In 1903, the New Bloomfield School Board purchased land from W. M. Longley to build a new school on the ground of the present school. The opening day for school was October 9, 1903. A frame building with two rooms was constructed. In 1911, two more rooms were added. The present buildings, with the exception of the junior-senior high school, now stand on the five acres that were bought in 1903-1911. The cornerstone to the current two story structure was placed in 1917. A bond issue was approved to build the new building just west of the wood frame structure built in 1903-1911. The wood frame structure was torn down in 1919 to provide parking space. On January 17, 1924, the 1917 building burned. The building was re-built and in use by November 1924. In 1956 a new gym was constructed and the old gym was made into classrooms. In 1964 six elementary classrooms, a superintendent’s office, a library, and a music classroom were built. In 1967 Kindergarten was added. A new cafeteria was built in 1978 as well as a multi-purpose room (currently PAT) and four classrooms.
In 1984 a bond issue was passed for four classrooms, a science lab and a library. The old library was made into classrooms. In 1996, a new high school was built to the northwest of the other building and in 1997 six classrooms were added to the high school. In 1999-2000, a softball field was built to the northeast of the high school.
In April 2001, the voters approved a $3.1 million bond issue to construct a 32,000 square foot addition on the high school to house both high school and junior high. In addition, the bond issue provided funds to air-condition the elementary building and replace the elementary roof. Some re-modeling from the bond issue funds for the elementary school provided new paint inside, new tile floors, a new nurse area, and a teacher workroom. During 2002-03, a joint effort of the district and the athletic booster club provided funds to construct a concession stand near the softball field.
In April 2004, the voters approved a $1,200,000 bond issue. This allowed the District to pay-off the lease on the 1996 first phase of the high school construction. In addition, the district was able to complete the roof replacement at the elementary, provide a hard surfaced road to the high school, and install a camera security system in both buildings. In April 2006, the voters again displayed their support of the vision for the district by approving a $600,000 bond issue extension. This “no levy increase” issue allowed the district to purchase land for future campus expansion. In addition, funds will be used to add a new entrance route to the high school, relocate the central office, improve ADA access and remodel facilities to provide more classroom space at the elementary.